Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January

The alarm rang before 6 AM today, a sound I hadn't heard for over two weeks. I wanted to sleep a bit longer, but knew it was time to begin my day. Taking the dogs out in 13° weather I saw the grass sparkling with frost and geese resting on the pond that had now frozen over. The morning was off to a quiet, yet cold start. The new year had begun and soon I'd be in my classroom preparing to greet my students.

Today, our first day back, included the start of district winter assessments. We use Fountas and Pinnell to determine student reading levels; checking fluency and comprehension. In another week students will take a math MAP assessment followed by a district writing assessment scheduled a week later. Assessments provide us with data, allow us to view growth and see where we need to focus. These assessments also reflect on our work thus far in the year. I never look forward to what seems like an endless series of assessments. They take so much time away from instruction. I do know that the data provided will be valuable, so I march forward, pen in hand, ready to climb the January assessment mountain.

I did feel the day was successful and learning took place. We looked at mentor text to begin our expository writing focus. Students had time to read. We took time to read and comment on the Op-Ed pieces that had been finished right before winter break. Students began working in small groups, becoming biome experts as they shared information, spent time researching and began their work on scripts for biome movies to share their knowledge with the class. We learned how to use protractors and developed an understanding of vocabulary related to geometry. Our day ended with a visit to the library where we gathered books to enjoy during self-selected reading time.

It's a new year. January is here. It's cold and dark. While I'd like to sleep in a bit longer and enjoy a few more lazy days, there is warmth and light in my classroom. I need to continue the climb along with my students. It won't be long before the groundhog will be proclaiming whether spring is just around the corner or if winter will be with us a bit longer. In the meantime, while assessment may force us to take a detour, we will still climb on.

3 comments:

  1. Love the way you carried through the mountain metaphor, (so I march forward, pen in hand, ready to climb the January assessment mountain)ever climbing. The final line wraps it all up well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Climb on...I like that. Tomorrow I'll be pulling myself out of bed, heading off to school. Thanks for writing today, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you stayed positive in your post, reminding yourself about the data that will come from the assessments. I especially enjoyed your hopeful concluding paragraph!

    ReplyDelete