Tuesday, January 10, 2012

One Word


I loved the idea of selecting one word and using it as a guide for the year ahead. Not only did I think it would help me, but also my students. I crafted a writing project around this concept, combining one word with a focus on expository writing. It's been challenging, but now that we are nearing the end of the our essays, I'm glad we made this journey. Not only has the activity helped my students practice expository writing, but it has also provided me with a new perspective on my students. Something I try to do when assigning a writing project is to complete my own and share it with my students. Not only does this help me see what it takes to complete such an assignment, but also allows my students to see me as a writer. While I know I'll re-read and reflect on my work, perhaps changing it along the way, I'm including it here as a promise to myself to focus on this word throughout the year.


---------------------------------------------------

As a new year begins, people often make resolutions. These resolutions are goals that they hope will help them improve in the coming year. Perhaps they will exercise more, eat better food or spend more time reading. While resolutions can be helpful, they often are so specific that by March many are left behind when the resolution is broken or forgotten. Rather than making a resolution this year, I have decided to select one word to focus on for the year. Hopefully by thinking about this word I will not only grow, but also feel connected in a way a specific resolution wouldn’t. You must be wondering what my word is for 2012. I selected balance. It has a special meaning to me, I chose it to help me grow and I know it will guide me throughout the year.

To some, balance may make them think about a balance beam or perhaps keeping a book balanced on their head. The dictionary states that balance is “stability, equilibrium and steadiness.” It’s also defines balance as fairness or justice. Balance can be a tool used to weigh something as well. Balance is a word that represents a noun or verb. It’s versatile. For me balance will help me keep things in perspective. It will act as a scale to help me find time for school and home. I will use it to make sure I think about all the areas of my life and make sure one doesn’t dominate my days. Balance will help me look at time differently and find time for everything that’s important.

Focusing on the word balance will help me grow. I hope to reflect on this special word throughout the year. Things I’d like to balance are work and family; exercise and leisure time; adventure and stability; risk and security. You can see that this one little word can impact many aspects of my life.

In order for balance to serve as my guide for 2012, I plan to keep it close at hand as a visual so I can see it every day. It will inspire me to not focus on one aspect of my life, but even out all of the aspects. I know that by writing down all the things I hope to balance this year and centering them on my one word, I’ll be able to find the balance I need to grow in 2012.

While balance may seem like a simple word, it has great depth for me. It will help me keep many of the aspects of my life that are important in perspective and act as a guide throughout the year ahead.

3 comments:

  1. Balance. I admire you chose to connect with your students through this activity. Excellent idea. Balance is definitely a deep word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be interesting to see the paths you will take with your students in this, & thus also in your own life. Balance can be tricky in life, can't it? I like the way you gave the different ways to approach it. I'm doing OLW too & wondering how the year will go because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Balance is the word I chose for this year too. Last year had me feeling off balance. I don't know how this will work its way into my writing, but I do keep it in mind as I make decisions.

    ReplyDelete