Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Writing in the Classroom

I teach 5th grade. We use Writer's Notebooks as well as a class wiki and blog site. Ralph Fletcher's wisdom, from his book A Writer's Notebook, is sprinkled in throughout the year. I use Katie Wood Ray, Lucy Calkins as well as other mentors to inspire me and keep me focused.
As a grade level, we need to make sure time is spent on Op-Ed, Narrative, Historical Fiction, Memoir, Science Fiction and Expository. Using mentor text, building anchor charts, brainstorming and working on our craft are all parts of the lessons. Conferring with others in small groups, one-to-one conferences with me and publishing are steps along the way. I want to help my students think of themselves as writers and not just writing for school. Some do. Others are a bit reluctant. I find giving them choice has helped make a difference. They also love the mix of notebooks and technology.

I'm trying to give myself and my students more freedom within Writer's Workshop. Mini lessons on transitions, hooks and grammar are still important, but I want them to love, like or at least not dread writing and see the power of their voice. I allow more time for projects, knowing not everyone writes at the same speed. I try to challenge them as they move into a "writerly life." I know they are all at different places in this journey.

I spend a lot of time planning, reading student work, conferring and reworking lessons. I know Katie Wood Ray has said when you feel things are somewhat out of control you are probably doing things right. I feel like things are out of control frequently and keep looking for balance. The students are writing, they usually are proud of their finished products. I just wish I had more time for choice writing, conferring and craft lessons. So many balls are in the air and that's just for writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment