Tuesday, December 27, 2011

A Week Without a Schedule - SOLSC

In another week as school reopens and my students return, our own children will be back at college and 2011 will be only a memory. The holiday rush has ended and I now have time to read, write and relax.

While snow usually covers the ground by now, this year it's been late in coming. The temperatures have been higher than normal. Memories of the blizzard that halted traffic and school for a few days last January come to mind. I know our world will soon be white. That's part of winter in the Midwest. Those unplanned days when snow slows down our world create special memories.

Our family Christmas Day celebration included five dogs, thirteen family members and a home buzzing with activity. The days leading up to Christmas were filled with sending out cards, shopping, decorating, wrapping, baking and list making. Now our guests are gone, our children are sleeping in and our two dogs are dozing on our daughter's bed. My husband is working and the house is quiet. The only sounds are the dryer tumbling clothes dry, the heat being blown into the room, the keys being tapped on my Mac and the sounds of birds at the window feeders.

I'm thankful for the quiet this week brings, but wish winter break could linger a bit longer. Unscheduled time is so precious.

5 comments:

  1. I'm in love with the quiet of this week. I actually switched a few things around today so that my daughter and I could spend a lazy day together at home. That rarely happens, so it's a true luxury.

    I have to say, I'm glad the snow hasn't fallen yet (other than the Halloween weekend storm). Last winter was almost too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy all of that reading, writing, and relaxing! That is what I love about breaks as well. I really enjoyed the images that you created throughout your slice - I could connect to so much. We also have not had any snow yet this year. I am wondering what January and February will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Contentment for the moment runs throughout this slice. Savor these times, they will only be a memory too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it interesting that not a lot of words can go so very slowly, like your post? It is a relaxing description, seems to be filled with contentment. I will have company all week, but am glad to have them because before long, they'll be back in their own homes & lives, but today they are all off to their own adventures, so I'm enjoying a bit of your peace and quiet. We had a big snow last Thursday so the ground is still white, but now on to melting slush in the sun. A nice day, like yours. Thanks for the reminder to be thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree--these nice, slow, quiet days of break are wonderful. Enjoy the rest of them

    ReplyDelete