Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's Day


Today is Valentine’s Day. A special day where we show our love, send cards, receive chocolates and flowers, but most of all reflect on the special people in our lives. I am fortunate to have many wonderful people in my world. My husband holds a place of honor and is the best Valentine I could ever hope for.

I met the wonderful man who would become my husband in the summer of 1983. We were both working in the dinning room at a resort in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin for the summer. We started dating at the end of that summer, and in February 1984, as Valentine’s Day approached, I wanted to make a special dinner just for him. The magazine Redbook had recipes for just such a dinner. It included a salad complete with avocado and shrimp, rolled flank steak, roasted potatoes and a chocolate-toffee dessert topped with coffee ice cream.

Twenty-eight years later we still celebrate Valentine’s Day with the same dinner. I only make it once a year and it always brings back special memories. This will be our 29th Valentine’s Day together. This coming August will mark our 25th year of marriage. We’ve been together well over half our life and shared both good and bad times, supporting one another through all the ups and downs.

I am so fortunate to have this special man in my life. He’s always there for me. Celebrating Valentine’s Day with our special dinner is a tradition I hope to be able to continue for years to come. We all have our special traditions and the fantastic memories built around them. I hope everyone has a wonderful day filled with happiness and love. Happy Valentine’s Day!

5 comments:

  1. What an awesome tradition (and dinner sounds to-die-for!) I wonder, though, if it sounds so delicious not because of the menu, but because it represents love that has stood the test of time. Thanks for writing today...and happy eating tonight!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Ruth--what a great tradition to share this meal once a year. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tradition & really you should send this to Redbook. I can imagine them doing an entire article with you, your wonderful husband AND the dinner. Your love for your husband shines right through the piece. How nice on Valentine's Day to declare the love all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. Your writing vibrates with your love. Happy Valentines Day to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well told story Darlene. I was smiling as I read about how you saw the recipe in Redbook. I used to love Redbook. :)

    ReplyDelete