Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Standardized Testing and Evaluations

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend visit with family in Nashville. It was nice to have the extra time off to make the trip. We left in the morning on Friday since there was no school and returned Monday evening just in time to get ready for a busy, yet shortened workweek. Having a comp day the Friday after parent-teacher conferences followed by the President’s Day holiday allowed for some much needed R&R.

Now school is back in session. My students are getting back to work, but the longer weekend makes focusing on routines a bit more challenging for them. I find myself looking at how I can get through all of the material for this week with one less school day. I’m also feeling the pressure from the upcoming state assessments. Can they really be so close at hand? The beginning of March seems too soon. There is so much more I’d like to introduce before those assessments.

Our state, like many others, is changing teacher evaluations with a much stronger focus on assessments. Our student test scores will play a much larger role in the process. Next fall our principals will be evaluated on the scores in their building and by 2016 classroom teachers will as well. I have no problem with accountability, but wonder if the tests being used are really the best instrument. In New York, those changes will impact both teachers and principals even sooner. Many are rightfully concerned with the impact of this on education.


http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/education/principals-protest-increased-use-of-test-scores-to-evaluate-educators.html?pagewanted=all


I’ve been in education for a number of years and have seen the emphasis on standardized testing escalate at an ever more rapid pace. I worry about the effects it will have on our schools and the many people who dedicate their lives to education. I hope for the best, but can’t help but worry.

2 comments:

  1. I am trying to keep up with the news, & what all of you who teach with standardized testing looming are saying. Colorado just passed a bill that links teacher evaluation with the scores. It makes me wonder what will happen next, as you have expressed. I personally am concerned from the viewpoint of what my one grandchild already in school is saying. He worries about the tests more than worrying about what he is learning. He doesn't express that somehow the two things should be linked. I hope it all works out for the best interests of those that matter, the students and the teachers. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep doing what you are called to do. The assessments stink. The rationale from the politicians stinks. The mere idea that teachers can solve the whole entire societal problem stinks. You DON'T. You are the hope these kids have. Keep teaching and loving. I love this post; it brings to mind all that's right with real TEACHERS.

    ReplyDelete