Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Blogs in the Classroom

My fifth graders have been using technology all year. We have a class wiki where we work on projects together. Our class web site has many resources, published projects and news. Movies related to various curriculum areas using green screen have been created and student created podcasts are also available. As 2012 began I decided it was time for another tool. We are now using Kidblog to write weekly slices. The students are able to write about anything on their mind. Once they publish other class members can read and add comments. It’s opened up a new writing world to the class.

Here’s what I like the best, they are writing during the 40 minute workshop block and seem to find ideas easily knowing they can write whatever is on their mind. As they write they do talk a bit, but their writing has voice and passion. They love this opportunity and I am also gaining an insight into their world and what matters more than ever before.

Some of my slow starters or reluctant writers are writing more than they do in their notebooks or on writing projects. I’m amazed at what they write and the volume too. Any time I can get students to want to write, I’ll take advantage of it. Perhaps this will turn them into writers rather than students who write for school.

As I looked over the entries for this week I smiled when I can across this one:

“Write. Writing is my life. Everyday when I wake up in the morning I am excited to go to school and write. I love how you can really let out all of your feelings. Even if you write something down in your writer’s notebook that doesn’t mean that is what you have to say in your final draft. Your writer’s notebook is like your planning, or your rough draft. And in your writers notebook you don’t even have to press save, because it is automatically saved right there in the book. I love everything about it. Don’t you realize that you can do anything with writing! you can make it into your diary, a dictionary, your page of cool words, a full story, or just use it as a writing page that you can write what you think about. Those are some of the reasons why I love to write SO much!!!”

I started writing a Slice of Life this summer, but didn’t write one every week until December. It’s become a goal for me. While I don’t always love everything I write, I’m always happy I took the time to write. Sometimes it’s a little scary putting my thoughts and ideas out there, but it’s helped me look at writing differently. I’m glad my students have that chance too.

3 comments:

  1. "I am also gaining an insight into their world" This is the heart of it all, isn't it--the connection that writing affords us? It is wonderful that you are building layers of writing in your life and in your students' lives. Thanks for sharing the student voice tucked between your own words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an amazing entry from your student. You have done some great teaching to get that kind of response. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about your class & all that they are doing with technology, & the blogs-how great is that! I love this student's slice, especially "And in your writers notebook you don’t even have to press save, because it is automatically saved right there in the book." You have made them excited about their words-wonderful to hear!

    ReplyDelete