Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Old Videos - Windows to the past

It's summer, so I have less structured days. I teach fifth grade and from the middle of June until the middle of August I have time to tackle projects that have been put off during the school year. This summer, as I created my "list," I decided it was time to finally move all of our old videos into a digital format to preserve them.
I was amazed at the hours and hours of video that I found. Tapes in boxes and on shelves seemed to multiply as I attempted my task. After importing a video, I would watch to see what was truly worth preserving and what could be left behind. Each tape provided a glimpse into the proverbial "rear view mirror" starting with our wedding. I was able to see not only how I changed, but how others did as well. I cherished the opportunity to look on in fast-forward at our kids growing up and to see once again loved ones who are no longer with us. Sure we look older, have added a bit of weight and extra laugh lines, but the most remarkable discovery was our non-scripted conversations. These conversations spoke volumes about who we were and who we would become.
We are all on a journey, our learning never comes to an end. We grow and change. Our experiences help shape us. It's good to look back through the windows of the past to see where we were and allow us to reflect on that journey and what may lie ahead of us on the road to the future.
I am not nearly finished with this project. It has taken hours and hours already. I've learned along the way how to import video from various tape formats, how to clip movies and the steps required to move them to a DVD format. 1987 - 2000 will be preserved before mid-August. It's my goal. I'll need to save the rest for next summer.
As I wait for yet another DVD to render and burn I began to think of how this process parallels the learning in my classroom. Looking back to beginnings in September, first steps and how we have grown over the year helps us look ahead too. These windows to the past help us reflect and celebrate. We determine what we will do next based on our past experiences. Life is a journey, not a destination. Our teaching needs to reflect this too.

4 comments:

  1. Love that, typical teacher, you connected up with your work. I am amazed at the learning you've done this summer, technically and in your life's journey. I liked where you said, "it's good to look back through the windows of the past...".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have those preserved memories. I am great at taking pictures but tend to lack the video compilation. I must get motivated to start preserving my families memories too. Good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darlene,
    I loved this first post, and I look forward to reading much more. Thank you for sharing - and for reminding me to slow down and cherish every moment with my too-quickly-growing-up kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this:

    "We are all on a journey, our learning never comes to an end. We grow and change. Our experiences help shape us. It's good to look back through the windows of the past to see where we were and allow us to reflect on that journey and what may lie ahead of us on the road to the future."

    I'm looking forward to your Slice tomorrow.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete