Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mid Summer Planning

It's hot today, too hot to be outside weeding or mowing the lawn. I'm inside and find myself working on ideas, resources and plans for the upcoming year. Yes, I know it's over a month away, but I just can't help myself. Most summers I spend some time in my classroom, reorganizing and reflecting. This summer I can't as the school is under construction and I won't be able to work there until the week before the start of school. Perhaps I'm a bit anxious about getting my room ready to welcome my new students. Perhaps I'm just avoiding the projects I should be accomplishing around the house. Whatever the reason I've found myself creating new Flipcharts for my interactive whiteboard, reading educational journals and selections from books and trying to come up with a beginning of the year theme to hook my students. While the time I spend on this isn't helping cross items off my "to-do" list, I know it will be worth it. It's a bit like growing a garden, you need to weed a bit and fertilize too if you want the best results.

1 comment:

  1. Darlene,
    Usually by this time of year, I'm in the same place you are... thinking about next school year and beginning to make my grand plans. This year, though, I'm still feeling so burned out from last school year, that I can't face it yet. Being in my classroom as part of the Illinois Writing Project work I've been doing is helping. Perhaps by next week....

    ReplyDelete