Monday, July 25, 2011

Last Week of July

It's Monday, my last unscheduled day for a while, and I'm already creating lists. There is a value in planning, setting goals and looking towards the future. There is also value in having down time. July is quickly coming to an end, August is only a week away. There is so much planned for the weeks between now and the start of the new school year, I know the time will fly by. My summer list hasn't been completed (are they ever?), but I've managed to accomplish a lot from it.
August, a time to savor the last few weeks of summer with family time in places far from home, pack up the kids and send them off to school, shop the back-to-school sales and enjoy the glorious "Dog Days" of summer.
I'd like time to slow down, but it never does. The kids are grown, attending college and building futures that will take them away from here. I'm sure my mom felt this way too. I don't remember. From my perspective then time didn't move fast enough. I was always in a hurry for the next step from high school to driving to college to moving in to my own place. I understand better then ever that old Simon and Garfunkel song 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy.)
What I need to remember is to slow down, even when it's September and I'm beginning another year with a new class and my list has grown in length. I need to take the time to savor the moments, connect with my students and others, and feel "groovy."

No comments:

Post a Comment